Written By: Bijoyeti Ghosh
This is the auspicious day of Buddha Purnima, it was on this day that Buddha’s birth,enlightenment and death, or, entrance into final Nirvana, all happened to have taken place.
Let us go through some beautiful quotes by ‘Buddha’ which are relevant for the Youth even today.
1.On the value of words:
- Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.
- All that we are is the result of what we have thought.If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
2.On Idleness and Diligence:
- To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
- What we think, we become.
- An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
Pay no attention to the faults of others,things done or left undone by others.
- Consider only what by oneself is done or left undone.
- Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.
- He is able who thinks he is able.
3.On Love and Hatred:
- Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
- Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
- Fill your mind with compassion.
May Lord Buddha bless you and your dear ones with happiness and true knowledge. Happy Buddha Purnima!